Monday, March 17, 2008

On and Ovaries

So, I've been kinda busy with, well, nothing. It's hard to remember to blog when life has no exact rhythm and is more up and down and focus-free. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed it, and I've remained somehow completely busy, but it's not the same as having a predictable (though stressful) school or work schedule.

That said, I'm also having some freaky health issues. Those of you who have known me for some time know that I've had this silly ovarian cyst for years. In fact, I went the ER on my wedding night 5 years ago to find out what the pain in the abdomen was. I've been following it with a gynecologist since that time and recently went for a formal followup ultrasound. Long story short, it is now classified as a "complex, septated ovarian mass", which means that there are walls (septations) and that it has some fluid-filled and some solid compartments. New to this ultrasound, they ran a doppler and found that there is blood flow to the mass. These things are not good.

So I have to get it removed.

The gynecologist said i had to see an oncologist, which is the first thing that made me freak out. Of course, the word oncology being synonymous with cancer and certain death, I began to mentally plot out my funeral and make arrangements for Lucy and Todd's care (what, you think they take care of themselves?) Then the earliest the oncologist could get me in was April 10, over a month away, and the earliest they could schedule surgery would probably be mid-May, perilously close to our departure date.

I freaked out.

When I calmed myself down, I managed to remember (with Todd's help) that I have connections in the Medical world who could probably point me to someone with more immediate availability. I called Dr. C and she recommended this guy who is apparently top dog around here in gynecological oncology and he is getting me in tomorrow for the consult and April 10 for the surgery. Phew.

I am going back and forth between being relatively secure that this thing is benign and totally freaking out and trying to figure out how long chemo treatment will last and what other treatment I will have to endure... I will keep you posted, but I do think chances are good in my favor. My age, the fact that I have carried a child, the lack of ovarian cancer in my family and the family history non-malignant ovarian growths (my mom) all play out in my favor. But there is always a chance (furiously knocking on wood).

Other than that, our move date looms near.... 2.5 months to go! We fly out to New Haven in a couple weeks to sign for our house and register Lucy for school (she got into the good school we liked... Hurray for public school!)

I got this awesome xtracycle attached to my bike (http://www.xtracycle.com) and there are some ape-hanger handlebars so Lucy can ride on it. It rocks! New Haven is relatively flat so I imagine that Lucy and I will make many bike trips here and there and I will certainly ride to school when weather permits.

I am beginning to grow deeply sad about leaving the life I've made for myself here in Seattle for the past 14 years and don't know whether or not we will return... we just might! My friends, kung fu, small things like the restaurants I go to and the parks we play in... *sigh*

But, there are many things I'm looking forward to in New Haven. Having a built-in community of friends is pretty amazing - Joe, Sarj, and Lisa will all be there. My dad close by... it will be pretty great.

1 comment:

Stacy @ Sweet Sky said...

Yay that Lucy got in the school you wanted!!

I will be thinking of you tomorrow!

xo
s