Saturday, July 28, 2007

Blazing Ahead

Well, I've completed my PA applications (to NINE programs!!!) in a record one week. I was in a huge hurry because my favorite program (a long shot - Yale) has a deadline for application submission of September 1. That might seem like a lot of time from now, but as you may know, I went to Evergreen, where they have no grades and my transcripts are a Tolstoyesque novel of narrative evaluations.... The central application service has to process my transcripts and spit out a GPA (?!) for me in the time before the deadline. So, not too optimistic about that, but fingers crossed. I've also had several friendly e-mails with the director of admissions there, so we'll see.

As far as my current work - I'm doing pretty well in O. Chem. I did OK on the first exam, not as well as I'd thought, but waaaay better than I felt about Physics. There is still hope for an A, though probably a low A, looming in my future.

I did get kinda screwed on part of my application to CASPA (the PA central application organization...) My letters of reference have to be in to the agency to pass my application on to my prospective programs. I had asked a former professor back in March if she would be able to write me a letter of recommendation. She agreed without hesitation and interviewed me for about an hour to get material for the letter.

I recently sent her an e-mail letting her know that I would still need that letter, but it would be for PA programs instead of med school. I didn't hear back for a couple days, so I called her office and left a message to the same effect. She then sent me an e-mail informing me that she had a family emergency and was having to leave town and would probably not be able to write me my letter of reference.

Now, I totally understand that emergencies happen and I feel for her, it sounded serious, whatever it was. But, I did ask her in MARCH and I assumed she would have had something written down by now that she could just send off. So I got screwed. It sucks, because I've been out of school so long that I don't have a relationship with any more of my former professors. All the recent classes I have are large lecture classes where the professor barely knows who I am.

My Physics professor has agreed to write my academic letter of reference, but it will be impersonal at best. But required, so not much I can do. I asked my O Chem prof to write one, I laid my situation on the line for him, but he didn't feel comfortable doing it, so I let him off the hook. But I have good ones coming from a former employer (and good friend) and another from Dr. C. at the Clinic, so I should be OK.

Fingers crossed, everyone! By this time next year, I could be starting school!

Lucy funny:
She climbed into bed with us the other morning to snuggle and Todd says dreamily, "This is Lucy, she's my daughter..."
Lucy retorts, "I think mama already knows that."

She cracks me up.

1 comment:

Auntie Sassy said...

Lucy cracks me up.

You should ask Donna for a letter of recommendation. She is no longer at my place of work, but off writing a book about whales. :)

I send along her email address if you want.