Sunday, August 12, 2007

I think i can i think i can i think i...

Well, I'm almost done with O. Chem. I have been studying for a couple hours with a friend, which was good, but also freaks me out a bit about how much I have left to do. I didn't realize how much a shorter quarter (2 weeks shorter) would make it SO MUCH CRAZIER. Ay. Well, Friday I'll be all done with it and I won't have any more O. Chem to do. One thing that is both annoying and exciting is that my prerequisites are different now for PA school than they were for med school. I never have to take another quarter of Physics. Hurray! But unfortunately, the prereq's are different for each program that I look at.

I've officially applied to 11 programs. Most of them on the East coast, a couple in the Southwest, but I'm thinking East Coast is my best bet. My current faves are Yale (long shot), MCPHS in Boston (could be a kind of long shot), George Washington University in DC (who knows?!). There is also a school in Maine, which is probably a better shot, but it is far away in Maine. There are also a couple in Philadelphia that appeal to me, so we'll see.

I have to take the GRE again, which is annoying, but my close friend Elise and I are going to take it together next month, which should be kinda fun.

The more progress with all this, the more I realize that it's the right decision for me. Becoming a PA will no doubt be extremely challenging and consuming, and take me away from Lucy more than I like, but for 2 (or possibly 3) years, it's doable. The light will be right there at the end of the tunnel and when I come out, I can practice in an area that needs me. I can finally be a contributing member of society again. I can do something meaningful, worthwhile, that i love... oh dare i dream....

Right now I'm procrastinating. I have a FAWKING hard exam coming up for O Chem followed by another FAWKING hard O Chem exam 2 days later. Todd is going on a kayak/camping trip on Wednesday so I had better use my time wisely, but right now (it is now the next day from when I began writing this one) my brain needs a little respite.

I can't wait until Friday afternoon. I'm picking Lucy up directly after my final exam and we're piling in to the car and driving down to Portland. We're officially going for a friend's wedding, but I'm making a weekend of it, going to see my old college roommate and dear friend who is about to pop out a new baby and hang out in a nice hotel with my lovely girl for the weekend. I'll probably never want to come back!!

Speaking of lovely girls... we've had more pooping problems. She didn't poop for FOUR days, she holds it when she's at school and then her body gets all messed up - also she's transitioning (mentally mostly) to toilet pooping and I don't know if you've picked this up, but she's a very intelligent, extremely sensitive, and quite an anxious little poopster. She's freaked out about pooping in the toilet, but she really wants to do it... it's stressful for her and all of us. Anyway, we are giving her mineral oil, per doctor's orders, and her poops are coming out finally. Phew. She even pooped a tiny pea-sized one into the toilet this morning. There was much hullaballoo over that and the fancy white dressed re-emerged from the drawer.

We went to the worst party ever yesterday. I won't go into detail to protect the innocent. Suffice it to say that one of Lucy's friends is turning into a real monster, such that I can't even stand to be around her and it pains me to see the way she treats Lucy and everyone around her. It's so hard not to intervene. I will not be making much effort to get them together in future. It is difficult due to other circumstances to maintain distance, but I have decided that it's important for me. It was so bad there that Todd couldn't even stand it more than 20 minutes and he left early and walked home.

Anyway, I'd better get cracking. 4 days and counting... and then I AM SO ON VACATION!!!!

No comments: