Saturday, September 22, 2007

An Update of all Things

Well, vacation is nearly coming to a close. And, like most people, I didn't get anything done that I'd planned as far as projects around the house. Lucy and I drove to PAWMA in Petaluma CA, camped a coule days in the van, and then picked up papa from the airport and drove down to Monterey to spend a few days with my brother and his family. PAWMA camp was great, as usual. The classes were not as varied and exciting as in years past, for me at least, but I had a great time and my practice was invigorated.

I've been thinking of directions I want to take my training and it was great to hobnob with all sorts of practitioners. One thing I realized as I watched all the demos on Saturday night was how incredibly awesome my particular art (Kajukenbo) is and in particular, our branch (Bones family Gaylord method). Even though I might need to add this and that from other arts, the thing that makes this art so special is that you can add others and use them to improve your Kajukenbo.

Speaking of demos, our demo ROCKED. We were certainly one of the crowd favorites and it went off nearly without a hitch. I was so jazzed. Unfortunately, there was a bit of a video glitch and it didn't get recorded, but trust me, we were great. Good music, headsprings, handsprings, sword play, staff work... oo la la.

Lucy and I flew back and papa drove the van up the coast for a little solo time. A few days after his return, the three of us took off for Albany so that we could meet my close friends' new baby, Ruby Rae. She was ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. We all fell in love. I've met a lot of babies since Lucy came along, but this was the first one that got my ovaries jumping up and down, if you know what I mean. Thank goodness I have an IUD, or I would have been pregnant immediately.... well, maybe not, but I had a great time helping out with that baby.

We also visited our friends who moved away to Vermont. We met with them for an afternoon halfway between - and their daughter and ours had a great time. It was great for us to see them, but too short and then we said our goodbyes and headed back to NY. I took my dad in for his annual test (he has had bladder cancer in the past, and so has frequent checks) and it came out clear. Hurray for that! He spend the night in our hotel with us to celebrate and then he headed back down to Woodstock. We were there for a whirlwind 6 day trip and it was jam-packed with activity.

Then, back home with 6 days to spare before classes start: Microbiology with lab (hooray!) and Statistics (ew). I'll be taking 10 credits - twice as many as in quarters past.... we'll see how it goes. I'm a bit nervous, but I'd better get used to it.

Speaking of school, my applications were submitted on August 27 and I've already received my first call for an interview. I'm flying out to Philadelphia to interview at Arcadia. I never expected to hear so quickly, but I'm excited! I'm still very hopeful about Yale. I mean, not only is it a reputable program, but the location can't be beat. Accessible to NYC, my friends in Albany, my dad, my friends in Brattleboro... it's very central. One of my dear friends actually lives in New Haven, but unfortunately she is moving back to Berkeley next spring. Alas.

Back home, it's great to be back, eating good food and exercising once again. I made it back to kung fu this morning for the first time in nearly a month. It felt great. My friend B has started with us after supporting Clayton, his fiancée Katy, and me in the art for 8 years! He finally succumbed to the dark side and we are VERY glad to have him.

School Wednesday
Grampa arrives on Oct 2 for a month
First interview in Philly Oct 10 (flying out the 9th, back the 10th so that I miss a minimum of school, but still...)
Lucy pooped in the toilet when we were in NY, but now back at home is back to the diaper *sigh*
She is however completely out of diapers at night and has had nary an accident (furiously knocking wood)
Lucy and Kita had a playdate with papa at the zoo today. By all accounts they all had a great time together with much love to go around. Hurray for that!
I guess that's all the news that's hardly fit to print.

Signing off.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! You did so much traveling in such a short period of time that it makes ME tired. I bet it feels good to be back at home, too. Good luck on MicroB & Stat - Stat was pretty fun if I remember correctly. Me? I'm in the first quarter of A&P this week. ::gulp!::

Anonymous said...

Welcome back - it was great to train with you this Saturday. I look forward to many more classes with you, and to seeing you and Todd and Lucy again soon! -b