Sunday, April 01, 2007

Rollercoaster Ridin'

You know that feeling as you slowly truck up to the top of the rollercoaster, terrified and thrilled, excited, elated, and a little bit sick just anticipating what is to come.... that's how i'm feeling lately.

There was a belt test at the school Saturday - advanced belts all grunting and sweating to prove themselves to an enormous panel of black belts. It was a great test, inspiring and in the end, emotional. I laughed, I cried...

It was the last test before my test.

Holy shit.

My injuries have kept me from really pushing like i did before previous tests. My martial arts is improving, but I'm definitely not physically THERE yet. I can't really hold a horse stance (thank you hip dysplasia - maybe i should be put out to pasture like a german shephard), I can't do sweeps and I've said goodbye to most high kicks. Lately, I can't even do a roundhouse kick because of the new problem in my other hip.

Surprisingly, all this said, until now, I've been fairly optimistic about my test. Until now, I've been focused on feeling good, retraining my muscles to work correctly - getting out of pain, and for the most part, I'm able to keep my pain in check. Doing what i do now, that is, which is somewhat gingerly practicing the art of kung fu.

I now need to kick up my training a notch. I'm a little afraid I'll hurt myself and not be able to test.

More than a little afraid.

Then, of course, there are the skills.

Oh yes, and finding the TIME to train... how's that again?

I've literally mapped out my next two weeks: each day from Lucy drop-off to Lucy pick-up and then some - It is entirely filled with stuff I have to do - class stuff, MCAT prep class stuff, and kung fu training stuff.

The moment of truth is here. I have it planned out, down to the infinitesimal detail of how much of my homework I need to do each day for each class - now it's time to put it all into action and get ready for the black belt test and then shortly thereafter, the MCAT.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE!

1 comment:

Auntie Sassy said...

Hey, you forgot MY test! ;)

But seriously, if you need me to help with anything...kick shield holding, cheering, entertaining the Lucy...whatever. Just let me know and we will work something out.

While I am certainly no challenge for your leet skills, I'm willing to be a body for you to beat the snot out of.