Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Calm After the Storm

So, after yesterday's initial dramatic entry to daycare, Lucy had one of her best days ever there - so I'm told by the daycare owner. She didn't cry at all after I left. Not only that, but daycare Jenny came over for the first time last night to babysit so Todd and i could go to Kung Fu and she had a GREAT time. (Background on this: Jenny has not been there usually on Lucy's days - Leah, the other assistant is always there - one time Jenny was there and she was not forewarned. All hell broke loose and from that day on, Lucy never wanted to see Jenny and would completely melt down when she saw her unexpectedly) Anyway, i think it was good for both of them - Apparently Jenny said to todd that "she is a completely different girl when she's not at daycare".

This kind of makes me swing both ways here - she had a good day at daycare and now likes Jenny. But it is clear that she is a different girl when not at daycare and I wonder what's right for her. I'm keeping her there for this month just to see how it goes, but in the meantime i'm looking for the perfect nanny. It might even just be good to get her daycare days down to two and get a one-on-one or one-on-two share for another day, so it's more even. Just thinking here... In any case, this morning there were but two or three perfunctory and obligatory "i don't want to go to daycare"s, but without any real emotion behind it. And when we got there, she got right into the routine and didn't even notice when we left. PHEW!!

I signed up for an online MCAT class - I was going to to a classroom review class, but the only one that fit the schedule would have eaten up my entire Sunday afternoon, and this way i can do it on my own time, when Lucy's in daycare so i can spend some of my weekend with my family. The class thus far is very annoying - you have to do these long "diagnostic" tests before you start - they have an "increase your score" guarantee and they compare it to the diagnostic test - some guarantee - i haven't reviewed anything and i have to take these ridiculous tests that make me feel like a complete moron since i haven't taken the classes in 5-10 years (if ever - i haven't taken physics yet - i'm pretty much guessing on all those questions)

I'm going to take the 3 hour MCAT diagnostic today *sigh* - I took only the "science" diagnostics, now i have to do more science and all the rest... WTF?! and THEN i can finally start reviewing. Retarded.

Had great KF classes last night - Todd and I went to regular class at SK (our school) - Sifu taught and it was a great class. Fun warmup (LOTS of kicking, man i really need to get my kicks back in order) followed by takedown punch counters. I worked with Todd on the takedowns, which was great, nice to feel like i can take a big guy down.

Then i rushed off to 7 star's Black/Brown class - I am always humbled in that group - we have very few advanced belts, so at this point i'm kind of a big fish at the school - in the 7 star class i'm very junior, i learn a lot from those ladies. We did sticky hands - with joint locks, unbalancing/takedowns, yielding, then we did bunkai on a wun hop form (we did limpo), then we did sticky hands wun hop style, then we did a really fun drill where one partner would kick the other and the other would try to get joint locks, yield or a takedown (slowly, of course). I partnered with Sifu Michelle, who is always great to partner with, very encouraging - which is good for me (i need encouragement!!). Then we did sticky hands incorporating all those other things. FUN!

I really enjoy doing those advanced classes, but I also feel very humbled (no, not humiliated) and not at all ready for black belt. I could wait another year...

Tonight is Sigung's stick class, but Todd is doing a golf tournament with his company, so he probably won't be back in time for either of us to go... That's OK, tomorrow I'm planning on self-training and trying a pilates class.

OK, well, at this point I'm just procrastinating the 15 item list that I have for today and tomorrow... here goes.

No comments: